Thursday 4 March 2010

Bloke's prerogative to change his mind

I've kind of changed my mind. The furore has died down and I've had time to reflect.

Shawcross appears not to be "whiter than white". There is plenty of evidence that he is an aggressive player and has done plenty to Arsenal players alone in the past.

I still think we suffer because we are a little flimsy as a side and sides think they can intimidate us and bully us off our game.

I love Wenger's purist ideology and it has resulted in a decade of (mostly) blissful enjoyment of watching our team, yes our team, play some of the best football in the world.

I hope he can find a balance, that keeps the quality, skill and pace, but adds a little bit of mettle too.

Ultimately though, the Shawcross tackle was over the top, he used excessive force and has to be accountable for his actions. The similarities that have been drawn by others to the speeding driver who mows down a child but "isn't that kind of driver" are absolutely right. Shawcross did it (and he's done similar things before) and he needs to face the consequences - and a few tears and 3 games is not enough. If it were Rooney lying there with his leg in 2 pieces, there would be a national day of mourning.

Nevertheless I have not changed my mind that we are the 3rd best team in the league, but we can win the league. I've never felt such a togetherness and positivity amongst Gooners. It's quiet and confident for the most part mixed in with a little disbelief that we are still in the position where we can challenge. But we can do it!

A shame I can't be at the Burnley game this weekend, but I suspect it is going to have a rather special feel to it. Emotional and incredibly positive. At last the Emirates is beginning to have a bit of history and something special about it - I think it starts this weekend and hopefully it will end with two new additions - the Clock returned to the "Clock End" and a new trophy stencilled on to the hoardings around the upper tier.

Here's to some real silverware!

'98

No comments:

Post a Comment